“God, I’m starving,” Jamie said a short while later. Maddy had returned to the bedroom after a few minutes, her hair pulled back and her face freshly splashed with cool water. She had crawled under the sheets with Jamie, their roles suddenly reverting back to before. Her head lay pillowed on his chest, his arms wrapped around her, holding her close to him, their bodies touching from head to toe.

“I confess I am too,” Maddy said with a giggle. “I can’t imagine how we worked up such an appetite,” she teased, and felt his laugh rumble in his chest.

“No, nor can I,” Jamie agreed.

Maddy lay quietly for a moment, not daring to meet his eyes as she asked her question. “Was that what you wanted?”

She felt, rather than saw, his eager nod.

“Was it too far? Too much?”

She timidly raised her head, and saw him smiling softly down at her. “No. It was… perfect. But you didn’t have to do that, if you didn’t want to, you know.”

“I did want to.”

“Thank you,” Jamie whispered after she had tucked her head back against his chest, one of his hands cupping her head protectively. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Maddy said softly in reply. “You’re welcome, Jamie.”

He sighed happily, and within minutes, both of them drifted into a satiated sleep.

###

“Get up!” Maddy hissed, shaking Jamie’s shoulder. “Get up!”

Jamie struggled to open his eyes sleepily, seeing Maddy’s panicked expression. “What? What is it? Unless there’s a fire or impending death, there’s no reason to be awake yet.”

“It’s morning!” Maddy said, leaping out of bed. “You can’t be found in my chambers. You have to go – now!”

Jamie slid his legs over the side of the bed and stood, stretching. Maddy paused to enjoy his nude profile, and then pushed his shoulder to get moving. “It’s my house… I think I should get to choose which bedroom I sleep in,” Jamie said, leaning over to retrieve his clothes.

“Very funny,” Maddy said softly. “You can sleep in this bedroom anytime you like – after my brother kills me for finding us in here together.”

Moments later, Jamie was dressed, his boots in his hand. Maddy was flying around the room like a whirling dervish, and he caught her arm as she zipped past him, stilling her for a moment. “I’m going, but I need one thing first.”

“What?” Maddy asked, exasperated.

“A kiss.”

Maddy’s expression softened at his tender request. “Alright, but then you have to go.” She stood on tiptoe, and Jamie leaned his long frame down until their lips met sweetly, and then she gave him another playful push. “Go. I’ll see you at breakfast.”

He captured her hand and pressed another kiss into her palm softly.

“That’s two kisses,” Maddy argued with a laugh.

“I’m a rogue, what can I say?” And with a wink, Jamie opened the door, looked both ways, and scuttled back to his own rooms.

###

“What are you doing?” Fitz’s voice startled Maddy from her reverie, and she turned to see him approaching her as she sat near the bank of one of Rotherham House’s small ponds.

“Just enjoying the view,” Maddy said evenly as Fitz flopped down beside her, tilting his face towards the thin sun peeking through the clouds. “How are you?”

“Tired,” Fitz replied. “I stayed up entirely too late and lost entirely too much money playing cards with some of the gentlemen last night.”

“Not our entire fortune, I hope,” Maddy quipped, and Fitz laughed.

“No, there are a few bob left,” he said easily, leaning back on his elbows and stretching out his legs. “I think.”

“Is something troubling you?” Maddy asked after silence stretched for a moment. “You’re not normally one for silence. I swear you talk to yourself when there is no one else to talk to.”

Fitz smiled, but said nothing for a moment, watching his little sister. “I have an observation.”

“This sounds ominous,” Maddy said with a grin. “You aren’t much known for your observational skills.”

Fitz didn’t smile, and Maddy wondered what serious matter Fitz had observed. “I’ve lately observed how Carrington looks at you.”

“And how is that?” Maddy asked, a bit too quickly.

“With more than just friendly interest, let’s say,” Fitz said, sounding uncomfortable. “And I’ve also observed that maybe you look at him with more than just friendly interest too.”

Maddy cursed inwardly. She and Jamie had been so careful not to betray their feelings for each other when the rest of the house party was around, but somehow, Fitz had caught their lingering looks. She supposed if anyone would notice, Fitz – who was closer to them than anyone – would notice.

Maddy cleared her throat. “That’s ridiculous. Your observational skills are rusty, brother. Lord Carrington and I are just good friends, as you are.”

“Funny, if it’s just as we are, I’ve never noticed him looking at me as though he’d like to kiss me breathless. Or more.”

Maddy gasped at his words, and shoved his shoulder with hers. “Lord Carrington does not look at me that way!” she said, even as she heard the hollowness of the lie within it.

“Maddy, you know I love you more than life, and that I want what’s best for you. Carrington is… well, he’s a war veteran. He’s got a lot of work to do on the estate. His finances aren’t the same as…”

“The same as?” Maddy asked hotly. “I don’t think Lord Carrington is destitute, my dear brother.”

“I was going to say, the same as Lord Blakely,” Fitz continued as though she hadn’t interrupted him.

“Lord Blakely?” Maddy asked in surprise. “What’s he to do with Lord Carrington?”

“Just… just hear me out. Lord Blakely is the son of a marquess, and is powerful, rich and respected. And it’s also clear, through my keen observational skills, that he’s quite taken with you.”

Maddy blinked in surprise. “He is not.”

“Oh yes, he is. He watches your every move, and he always is so happy when you are engaged in conversation or dancing together. Beyond that, though, he’s a nice man, and a very, very rich one.”

“Since when have you thought of everyone’s finances above their character?” Maddy asked.

“Maddy,” Fitz said, seemingly embarrassed. “I’m just a viscount, and not a terribly rich one at that, as you know. Without an heir, I need to know that you and the estate will be protected just in case I don’t… procreate. Though I hope it won’t come to that, I need to honor Father’s wishes that you be taken care of for all of your life. And as such…”

Maddy interrupted him. “I’m decidedly not liking the tone of this conversation. Just say what you want to say, Fitz.”

“Lord Blakely is a fine catch, and he likes you. You must do what’s best for the family and secure him.”
“Secure him?” Maddy asked, tears of frustration springing to her eyes. “What, rope him like an errant colt? Since when have you ever dictated who I may or may not like, much less love?”

“I’m trying to be a responsible brother, and I want you to be well cared for, especially considering these last few years. Lord Blakely is a good, rich man. Carrington… I fear that Carrington will break your heart.”

“Why is that?” Maddy asked, hurt.

“Because he’s never fallen in love in all the years we’ve known him. He’s emotionally distant. He seems less likely to marry than anyone I know. Blakely, though, Blakely is a good fit. Please, just, consider what I’m asking you. I don’t need an answer now, but I had to say something, as your brother. Regardless of your esteem for Carrington, just… consider all your options. Please.”

“You know nothing of my heart,” Maddy said hotly.

“You’re right, I don’t. But I know what a good person you are, and I want the very best for you. And that’s why I had to say what I needed to say.”

The tears that had been threatening for the last few minutes spilled down her cheeks as Maddy watched Fitz’s retreat to the house.

38571/50000

0 comments:

Post a Comment