In the first few minutes since his arrival, Maddy and Rose had learned that Lord Blakely was the son of the incredibly wealthy and connected Marquess of Hawkridge, and that he had an easy laugh and happy manners, turning their formerly sour dispositions about Lady Drake around completely.

He was quick to introduce himself to everyone in the room, spending a few minutes talking with all of them, regardless of station or title. Lord Blakely was tall and elegant, almost as tall as Jamie, and though completely devoid of hair, was only two and thirty, and he carried himself as though he were used to the mantle of Marquess’ son.

And the two ladies agreed he had the loveliest voice and the nicest smile they had ever seen.

Though Jamie still made her heart skip a beat, Maddy had to admit that Lord Blakely was charming and attractive – much more so than anyone else ensconced at Rotherham for the house party.

After introducing himself to everyone, he returned to Rose and Maddy and seated himself beside them on the chaise with a snifter of brandy in his hand. “And how are you enjoying Rotherham? How are you acquainted with Carrington?” he asked the ladies, though his eyes were mostly trained on Madeline.

“Lord Carrington and my brother and I are old friends, my lord. We were recently reacquainted in Bath, and were happy to return to Rotherham for a visit, as it’s been many years since I was here. Rose is my dearest friend, and joined us on the journey. We’ve known each other since we were children.”

“Would it be too rakish to ask about your husbands?” Lord Blakely said. “It would, wouldn’t it? Altogether tacky. Blast.”

Both girls laughed, and then Rose answered for them both. “We are both quite unattached, my lord.”

“You know if you hadn’t answered, I would have found out before the evening was out anyway. I have spies,” he said with a winsome smile. “And have no gentlemen caught your eye here at the party?”

“You make it sound as though the only reason to attend a house party is to troll for a husband,” Maddy shot back tartly, and Blakely laughed.

“True enough. I apologize – it was not my intention. Besides, ladies of your standing and beauty need not troll for anything, I think,” Blakely returned. “Carrington had mentioned you both to me, but seemingly left out how uncommonly pretty you both are.”

“You are very forward, Lord Blakely,” Rose said and he laughed.

“Indeed I am. It is one of my greatest faults,” he agreed with a shrug.

“On the contrary,” Maddy said easily. “Honesty and forwardness are quite refreshing, especially in this company.”

“Oooh? I sense there is a story there, Lady Winchester,” Blakely said with an arched eyebrow.

“Indeed, but not a story for tonight,” Maddy shot back with a smile. “And we might ask where your wife is, Lord Blakely?”

He shook his head with mock sadness. “Unfortunately, no woman with any sense would have me. I’m left all on my own. A tragedy, truly, as I’m told I’m quite charming.”

“Poor dear,” Rose said in mock sympathy, and they all laughed.  “And the verdict on your charm is still out, my lord.”

Blakely laughed. “Lady Rivenhall, Lady Winchester, I think I’m going to enjoy getting to know you immensely. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow.”

“And I you, my lord,” Maddy said happily. “Presuming we aren’t out ‘trolling’.”

“Oh, I’m never going to be forgiven for that misstep, am I?” Lord Blakely teased, rising smoothly and smiling. “Good night, Lady Winchester, Lady Rivenhall. I look forward to seeing you both in the morning.”

And with a kiss on the hand for each lady, he strode out of the room, and the two women exchanged happy smiles. The party was looking up, indeed.

###

Bloody hell, Jamie thought from across the room.

He and Blakely were old friends from Town – and had grown closer through Blakely’s war efforts as well, but he suddenly thought that inviting him to Rotherham House  for the party might have been a mistake indeed.
Blakely was all easy smiles and happy manners – everyone who knew him found him charming and witty, intelligent and easy to talk to. Men wanted to befriend him, and women wanted to wed him.

Clearly, Madeline and Rose were in agreement of that assessment, as he watched them smile silly smiles at him.

Jamie liked Blakely, but he didn’t like the way he and Madeline were looking at each other.
In the least.

He hadn’t seen Madeline smile so much in days, and Rose looked equally enamored with Blakely. Trevor too, appeared to enjoy their company, and smiled a great deal at Madeline himself.

Jamie could feel himself fuming, though without justification.

He didn’t want Madeline just because of competition from Blakely – he had wanted her, heart and soul, since meeting her again in Bath. Having Blakely around, however, definitely put things into perspective – he had been a bloody fool keeping her at arm’s length.

Jamie was always too competitive for his own good, and he could feel the aggressive spirit rising as Madeline and Rose giggled together, and he caught snatches of their conversation as Blakely exited the room: “Lord Blakely… frightfully funny… beautiful smile… charming…”

Damn it, he was all those things too… wasn’t he?

Wasn’t he?

Not that he had ever shown Madeline.

Maybe it was time to start… time to open up to her, and see where that led.

If nothing came of it, he would wish Madeline and Trevor great joy.

But not until the final bell had rung for him absolutely.


23571/50000

0 comments:

Post a Comment