“I thought I might find you here,” Lord Blakely said from the stable doorway, making Madeline jump back from where she had been nuzzling and cooing at Peaches.

“Why did you think that?” Madeline asked, straightening her skirt. “I’m not really a horse person, truth be told.”

“Well, I didn’t think it, but I bribed one of the servants to tell me where you were,” Blakely said, chagrined.

Madeline laughed and stepped towards him. He backed out of the door and she linked her hand through his proffered arm and they strolled away from the stable towards the gardens. “You didn’t actually bribe someone,” she said and he smiled.

“No, but I would have if I hadn’t caught sight of you,” Blakely said. “I so enjoyed meeting you and Miss Rivenhall last night, I thought we might get to know each other better today. I love making new acquaintances, and I don’t recall seeing you in society before. Why is that?”

“I’ve not been much in society,” Madeline said. “And I tend to spend the seasons in Bath, rather than London, as it is closer to home and my brother.”

“Not much in society?” Blakely echoed. “Depriving society of such a lovely dancer?”

“How do you know if I can dance, Lord Blakely?”

“Bribery again?” he said, making it a question.

She laughed. “I do enjoy dancing, but often tire of the Season. It’s nice to be away for a spell, able to breathe again. But what of you? Aren’t you missing a prime opportunity to ‘troll’ for a wife?”

“I don’t ‘troll’, Lady Madeline,” he said brusquely, and he felt embarrassment rise in her cheeks. “Skulk, yes, even prowl and occasionally lurk, but never troll,” he said with a teasing grin and she let out a breath and giggled.

“And yet you’re here,” Madeline said. “Among society just without all the social mores of balls and card parties.”

“And yet I am,” Blakely said. “It’s damnably good to see Carrington again. We spent time together in France during the war, but lost touch in the last few months due to… circumstances…”

“Oh, were you a spy as well?”

Blakely’s jaw dropped. “He told you what he did?”

Madeline nodded. “He did. He spoke little of it, but he did confess to spying on the French. Did you as well?”

“No, I was one of his contacts in France, and ferried information back to the English. He was extremely good at his job, and I always enjoyed spending time and learning from him. He was immensely good at his job, and trustworthy to a fault. It’s good to see him again, though he’s certainly not as carefree as I remember.”
“Lord Carrington? Carefree?” Madeline asked in disbelief.

“Oh yes, always ready with a laugh or a joke, but now he seems… reserved. Do you know why?”

Madeline shook her head slowly. “I wish that I did, my lord.”

Blakely watched her for a long moment, deducing why Jamie had been so tense since Blakely had returned… he was in love with this pixie of a girl.

The penny dropped.

“I see,” he said easily, and was about to speak again when they were interrupted by a call behind them. Turning, they spotted Carrington striding towards them at a fair clip. “Hello, Carrington. How are you?” Blakely asked and they shook hands.

“I’m well, Blakely, I’m well, though I have a favor to ask. May I speak with Lady Madeline in private for just a moment? I have an urgent matter to discuss.”

“Of course,” Blakely said, lifting Madeline’s hand from his arm and pressing a kiss to her hand. “Until we meet again,” he said with a smile for her. “In about twenty minutes, I hope. No more than thirty.”
She grinned. “And if it’s forty?”

“Bribery,” he said and she laughed out loud. Blakely walked away, whistling, then turned to Jamie, who was practically scowling at her, trying to deduce what the devil Blakely was talking about bribery for.

“What is so urgent, my lord?” She asked, suddenly concerned. “Has something happened to Fitz? To Rose?”

Jamie didn’t speak, but instead took her arm and tugged her into the tree line, still scowling, moving quickly. “My lord…” Madeline protested, tugging at him. “My lord, you’re hurting me.”

Jamie froze in step and dropped her arm as though he was burned. “I’m…. I’m sorry,” he said softly, not daring to look at her, fearing she would see the emotions on his face.

Fear.

Jealousy.

Lust.

“I… It’s all right, my lord,” she said quietly. “You seem so vexed. What’s the matter? Can I help? What is troubling you?”

God, she was an angel.

He manhandled her and she wanted to comfort him.

“I’m quite well,” he said clearing his throat. “I’ve simply come to ask a favor.”

“And what is that?” Madeline asked wearily.

“Will you… will you meet me? Tomorrow? I wish to speak to you… privately.”

Madeline watched him with concern and confusion, and then slowly nodded her head. “Of course, my lord. Are you sure nothing is amiss?”

“Nothing, I just… there are things that need to be said,” Jamie said gently. “And I can’t let more days slip by without telling you.”

Madeline nodded again, and then straightened her shoulders. “Where and when, my lord?”

“Two o’clock, in the folly,” he said. “Everyone else should be napping or out shooting at that hour, so we won’t arouse suspicion by meeting together.”

“Will we be doing anything suspicious?” Madeline asked with a ghost of and smile and he suddenly grinned, making it seem as though the sun had broken through the clouds to her mind.

“You never know,” he said cryptically. “Tomorrow at two, then.”

“Yes, my lord,” she said faintly as he turned to walk away.

“Jamie,” he muttered. “Just Jamie.”

“Jamie,” she whispered, knowing he couldn’t hear her.

But he smiled as he walked away, having heard her just the same.


24567/50000

0 comments:

Post a Comment